Your big day is scheduled, the ceremony location and reception hall are booked, as are many of your other wedding services. Congratulations, one may think your major wedding decisions have been made right? Well, not quite! You might assume that finding a great DJ for a wedding will be as simple a
Exactly how do you determine what DJ to settle on? We’ve taken our experience to compile a list of the best 10 things to ask a potential DJ company. We feel these questions are particularly crucial and usually overlooked. Asking these questions will reveal the differences in the standard of DJs you are considering for your big day.
1. Can they be insured for liability and theft coverage? Our organization estimates that most DJ’s are not insured! In addition, some wedding party locations are now requiring proof of insurance from your DJ.
2. Exactly how long has the DJ company been around?
3. The potential DJ should have a written contract for you to sign. Will it be worded fairly for both parties? Note: A DJ performance agreement needs to have simple, clear and understandable language and be no longer than a few pages. If it seems like you are buying a house with a long, hard to understand contract, we advise getting a different DJ.
4. Will they organize and announce the special events, dollar dance, etc.? Will they function as the MC for your entire reception?
5. Will they get your guests involved in special dances and game if you wish? Are these games and interactions contemporary? In the event that they mention the hokey pokey or Macarenakeep looking!
6. What precisely makes them better or different from other DJ’s?
7. In the event that the disc jockey becomes sick, has a vehicle failure, a family member emergency or for whatever reason can’t arrive on time to your wedding and reception, exactly what will happen? Is there a knowledgeable DJ ready for taking their place in the last minute?
8. Are they an experienced wedding DJ? What amount of weddings and ceremonies have they performed at?
9. In the event there’s an equipment malfunction, can they have backup equipment available on site?
10. Will they give you complete and up to date references with names, contact details, and numbers of previous wedding clients?
All your questions must be addressed by the potential DJ company. When you make a decision on the person or company you want for your wedding entertainment, it’s important to reserve that date right away. Why? Because some of the popular disc jockeys are booked well in advance on busy wedding dates, sometimes with a year or even more. If you wait, you may have to be happy with your next choice. Best of luck on your hunt for the perfect DJ and congratulations!
By Tom Kenemore, Pro Sound & Light Show Disc Jockeys & Uplighting, St Paul, Minnesota. For more advice and tips on wedding planning, check out Wedding DJ Minnesota. Pro Sound & Light Show DJ’s & Uplighting provide award winning Minnesota Wedding DJs as well as wedding DJ’s and Uplighting in Wisconsin and the UP of Michigan.